Menu Close

Pre-Season: Walshaw Sports FC (H), 7th September 2020

Bury AFC took to the field once again on a wet Monday night at the Neuven Stadium against Manchester League side Walshaw Sports.

The was a chance straight away for Bury, three shots one after the other resulting in the ball being put in the net. But the assistant’s flag was up for offside.

Walshaw had their first chance a few minutes later. The ball back to the keeper was short from midfield. Lee Gaskell latched onto it, rounded the keeper & but hit Williams on the line who had scampered back to protect the Bury goal. He recovered suitably to clear the ball out for a throw and alleviate the danger.

Bury took the lead on the fifteen-minute mark after the ball came back from the keeper’s initial save. Bury’s midfield trialist followed up to put away the rebound.

Bury AFC 1 – 0 Walshaw Sports (Trialist 15 mins)

Walshaw Sports were level two minutes later. The ball played into the striker in the right-hand channel who turned to place the ball past the keeper and towards goal. The recovering Moore stretched to clear the ball but had little chance to stop the shot, deflecting the ball into the goal.

Bury AFC 1 – 1 Walshaw Sports (16 mins)

Bury retook the lead shortly after, an inconspicuous ball over the top catches out the oncoming keeper but not Liam MacDevitt who has an empty net to place the ball into from six-yards out, for his second goal in as many games.

Bury AFC 2 – 1 Walshaw Sports (MacDevitt 21 mins)

Bury had a third just before half time, centre-half James Moore heading home from a corner.

Bury AFC 3 – 1 Walshaw Sports (Jimmy Moore 43 mins) – Half-time score

Walshaw had a chance shortly after the break, but the Bury trialist keeper recovered well from the initial save to get back on his feet to claim the spilled ball, and the danger was cleared.

Just before the hour mark, Lewis Gilboy replaced Liam MacDevitt on the right-wing and was straight into the action. His cross-shot was deflected away for a corner, the resulting corner fell to the head of Moore who’s header was too close to the Walshaw keeper.

The home side added a fourth with twenty-one minutes to go, Bury born Bailey Sloane headed home from close range as he rose high above the rest for his first goal in a Bury AFC shirt.

Bury AFC 4 – 1 Walshaw Sports (Bailey Sloane 69 mins)

Walshaw did have a chance within the last fifteen minutes, a free kick around 25 yards out. The effort from Gaskell was curled away from the keepers right hand, possibly clipping the post before heading behind for a goal-kick.

Into the final five minutes, Walshaw crossed in from their right, the new trialist keeper spilled the ball and was injured in a collision with the visiting attacker.

And within the next couple of minutes, we saw that the injury was more serious than everyone hoped and a stretcher was called for.

The referee brought the game to a close without a ball being kicked following the injury to the Bury trialist keeper and it was another good performance from Andy Welsh’s side.

Full-time Bury AFC 4 – 1 Walshaw Sports

Shortly after full-time, The keeper was placed on the stretcher and carried from the ground and received applause from the remaining supporters at the ground.

He was taken to the hospital after the game and was discharged in the earlier hours and we were glad to report that he passed the tests he needed to.

Match action highlights are below. Bury AFC return tomorrow (12th Sept) away at Abbey Hey, 3pm Kick-Off. This game is sold out, please do not travel without a ticket.

You can see some of our match action from Andy Whitehead, Richard Tomlinson & Joshua Davies here.