Menu Close

Pre-Season: Radcliffe (A), 1st September 2020

Bury AFC continued their Pre-Season by taking on Radcliffe at the Neuven Stadium on Tuesday night following a 2-1 win over Coppull United on Saturday. Despite the best efforts of Andy Welsh’s men, they suffered their first defeat as Lee Fowler’s Northern Premier League side ran out 3-0 winners.

The game was the first chance for many fans to take in surroundings which will become familiar, with the Neuven Stadium being our home shared with Radcliffe for this season.

Lewis Gilboy attacks down the right in the first half

The opening exchanges of the game were frantic as both sides looked to move the ball forward quickly and it was Lewis Gilboy who created the first chance five minutes in, as his sharp effort beat the keeper but came back off the upright. However, it was Radcliffe who opened the scoring on 10 minutes after a nice through ball that eventually found its way to Kole Hall who was able to get his shot past the covering Matty Williams on the Bury line.

In the 23rd minute, Luis Morrison doubled Radcliffe’s lead after a great save from AFC’s triallist goalkeeper which fell one yard out from the goal line and it was Morrison who met the ball first for an easy tap in.

As the half continued Bury seemed most likely to create a chance down the flanks as Metcalfe and Williams were quick to support the attacking wide men of McWilliam and Gilboy. It was a deflected free-kick from McWilliam that brought an impressive reflex save from Cameron Belford and took the game to half time at 2-0 to the nights home side.

Andy Welsh made only the one change at the half time with Bailey Sloane replacing Tommy Lent at the back.

Despite the 2-0 scoreline, the first half was evenly contested and the second half was no different with half chances and pressure being created by both sides.

Another Bury triallist impressed when his curling left-foot shot on 73 minutes hit the outside the post with Belford beaten.

Liam MacDevitt tussling with the Radcliffe defence after coming on in the second half

Changes were made as the game went on which saw Liam MacDevitt make his first appearance following early-season injury and George Blackwell try to impose themselves onto the game. They, however, came up against a very strong and organised Radcliffe defence.

It was then in the 80th minute that Radcliffe made it 3-0 with a nice finish from Khius Metz following impressive feet and a nicely played through ball by Andy Owens.

Probably Bury’s best chance fell to them in added time as a shot from another triallist midfielder was pulled just wide of the far post from six yards out.

Although it was the first defeat for this side there were still a number of strong performances that Andy Welsh can look to build on ahead of the season.

You can see some of our match action here.

We return to the Neuven for our first ‘home’ game against Nostell Miners Welfare FC on Saturday (5th September), 3pm kick-off. Tickets will be available, initially circulated to Shakers Community members, as soon as we can this week.